Oil & Gas, Manufacturing InvestmentsName: James Page
Firm: Black Crest Capital LLC
Location: Houston, TX
Type: Angel Investment
OverviewBlack Crest Capital LLC was established in September 2009 to make Angel investments in early life-cycle, high growth businesses and to make control equity investments in established, small market companies with fundamentally sound business models. Black Crest is headquartered in Houston, TX, USA.
Target Investment Categories1. Early life-cycle, high growth businesses that require an active Angel Investor.
2. Healthy companies in which the current, controlling owners are seeking to exit their investment in the business. The ideal target would have strong management, little debt, attractive underlying assets and strong growth potential that avails itself to a leveraged transaction.
3. Companies with sustainable business models that are under-performing or in distress that require reengineering and/ or equity injections to unlock value in turnaround scenarios.
ApproachBlack Crest seeks scale and leverage in the businesses in which it invests. For this reason and management’s background, Black Crest prefers investments in the upstream oil and gas and manufacturing industries. However, Black Crest will not preclude compelling investment opportunities in other industries including real estate, health care and financial services.
What they Look ForWhen Black Crest assesses investment opportunities, it examines the following:
1. What market/ industry does the company serve and what products/ services does the company provide? The market/ industry the company serves must be large and have strong growth potential. The products or services provided must fill a compelling need in the marketplace and have a defensible competitive advantage.
2. Who are the people involved? They must have excellent track records and the highest levels of integrity. The management team must be strong, experienced and have complimentary skill sets.
3. What is the structure of the investment vehicle? Structure is critical in aligning the interests of the key stakeholders; the founders, investors, employees and business partners.
4. What is the exit plan for the company? Black Crest believes the exit plan should be the first thing agreed to with the founders and managers when making an investment in a company. We see no conflict between building a company to last but to position it for a proper exit transaction for the benefit of the stakeholders. Please note that Black Crest is not a passive investor. Depending on the magnitude of the investment, a board and/ or management position will be an investment prerequisite. Integrity and honesty, dedication to innovation and customer service, respect for employees/ business partners and an unwavering drive for profitable growth and value creation form Black Crest’s impregnable foundation. Black Crest will endeavor to give timely feedback to an entrepreneur’s request for Black Crest Angel funding.
SummaryBlack Crest seeks scale and leverage in the businesses in which it invests. For this reason and managements background, Black Crest prefers investments in the upstream oil and gas and manufacturing industries. However, Black Crest will not preclude compelling investment opportunities in other industries including real estate, health care and financial services.
Tags: Angel Investment, Angel Investor, Black Crest Capital LLC, Oil and Gas Angel Investor, Real Estate Investment, Health Care, Financial Services.